Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One and a Half! ..And Jacob's 1st Earthquake

Jacob is officially one and a half today! And what a day it was. Today was also his very first earthquake. And where was Mommy when all the chaos unfolded? Nowhere near Jacob. He was doing another first: HE WAS IN DAYCARE! Of all times.. of all days.. I had just dropped him off for his very first day ever in daycare.. and we had to go and have an earthquake. I had spent as much time as I could getting him acclimated to this strange new environment with all these brand new little faces (probably a dozen babies/toddlers), then I finally (hesitantly) moved toward the door, then he started screaming. ugh.. My heart sank, but the daycare lady motioned to me that she had everything under control, and as I pulled the door shut, she seemed to have successfully distracted him, or at least for that moment.

About 20 minutes later is when southern California got rocked with this quake. About a 5.4 magnitude I heard, so not too bad. The weirdest part of all: I never even felt it! I found out through the grapevine. I was driving back home from dropping Jacob off when it hit. My house had random things tipped over and jostled around, and Pebbles (our kitty) looked like she'd seen a monster when I walked in (I didn't realize why at the time). My tall outdoor plant had taken a big nosedive on my patio, so that was a big mess, but nothing else major was broken.

But alas, the earthquake was my excuse to call the daycare lady and ask her about Jacob. She said he cried a little when I left (which probably means a lot), and was trying to go to sleep (my boy never has trouble going to sleep...), but I guess that's to be expected. She said the earthquake shook them up pretty good and two of her glass vases fell off and broke in her house (not near the kids), and that it was utter chaos in the daycare trying to scramble the kids together to keep them safe. NOT what I had in mind for Jacob's first hour on his first day in daycare!

When I went to pick him up at the end of the day, I took him a little strawberry Dum-Dum sucker and gave it to him when we got in the car. I helped him with the wrapper, but let him finish taking it off, then he saw the pink candy on a stick and without a moment's hesitation, took a tiny little taste, and his eyebrows went up and he looked at me with a little surprised smile, like, "Hey.. that tastes good!" He jabbered about his day the whole way home.
Happy 1-and-a-Half Birthday, Baby!! :)

No comments: